CALM Zoo is currently 7:25pm

Coyote | California Living Museum

Animals

Coyote

  • The most vocal of all North American wild mammals, this opportunistic hunter and scavenger is steadily increasing in number through rapid adaptation to human encroachment and a fast reproductive rates. The coyote looks similar to a large dog. Its coat is grayish brown to yellowish gray in color with a white throat and belly and a bushy, black-tipped tail.

    Classified as a carnivore, the coyote will eat pretty much anything. 98% of its diet is meat from rodents, reptiles, insects and carrion. The other 2% is made up of fruits and berries. To catch their prey, coyotes will pounce with all of their legs held stiff. The coyote is the dominant wild animal in the food chain.

    Found throughout most of North America, the coyote is common in open sagebrush areas, but has adapted to living in urban areas, as well. They have expanded their range due to the decreasing population of their larger competitor, the wolf. Pups are born in litters of 6-7 with the males leaving the pack at 6-9 months.

Click to learn more about the Acorn Woodpecker
Acorn Woodpecker
View Animal
Click to learn more about the American Coot
American Coot
View Animal
Click to learn more about the American Kestrel
American Kestrel
View Animal
Click to learn more about the American White Pelican
American White Pelican
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Badger
Badger
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Bald Eagle
Bald Eagle
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Barn Owl
Barn Owl
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Black Bear
Black Bear
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Black Tailed Mule Deer
Black Tailed Mule Deer
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Black-Crowned Night Heron
Black-Crowned Night Heron
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Bobcat
Bobcat
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Burrowing Owl
Burrowing Owl
View Animal
Click to learn more about the California Condor
California Condor
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Canada Goose
Canada Goose
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Coati
Coati
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Coyote
Coyote
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Desert Bighorn Sheep
Desert Bighorn Sheep
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Desert Tortoise
Desert Tortoise
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Ferruginous Hawk
Ferruginous Hawk
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Golden Eagle
Golden Eagle
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Gray Fox
Gray Fox
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Great Horned Owl
Great Horned Owl
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Green Heron
Green Heron
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Herring Gull
Herring Gull
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Island Fox
Island Fox
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Mallard
Mallard
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Mountain Lion
Mountain Lion
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Opossum
Opossum
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Porcupine
Porcupine
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Raccoon
Raccoon
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Red Fox
Red Fox
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Red Shouldered Hawk
Red Shouldered Hawk
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Red-Tailed Hawk
Red-Tailed Hawk
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Ringtail Cat
Ringtail Cat
View Animal
Click to learn more about the San Joaquin Kit Fox
San Joaquin Kit Fox
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Striped Skunk
Striped Skunk
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Turkey Vulture
Turkey Vulture
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Western Screech Owl
Western Screech Owl
View Animal
Click to learn more about the Western Scrub-Jay
Western Scrub-Jay
View Animal
Menu
Top